Join us for our five-day mission from March 24-28, 2020 to Kigali and Kampala. Startups.be, Agoria and Close the Gap join forces to organize their third GoGlobal mission to discover Africa’s booming tech scenes.
This mission offers you a chance to mingle and collaborate with local business leaders and entrepreneurs who know best what Rwanda and Uganda have to offer for the future of tech development in Africa as well as on a global scale.
Nicknamed the Singapore of Africa, with a capital city hailed as being the “tech hub of Africa” Rwanda’s growing reputation for development in the world of digital has come on leaps and bounds over the last decade. According to the World Bank’s 2018 Ease of Doing Business Index, Rwanda has risen above countries like Italy, Belgium, and Israel to become the 41st most business-friendly nation on earth.
Which is why we believe in the importance of being on ground zero to hear the latest from local entrepreneurs and tech visionaries. Alongside this, the mission will branch out to neighboring Uganda, visiting the country’s capital Kampala, known throughout the continent for its leading role within telecommunications as well as a whole host of impressive startups and exciting new industries.
The objective of this Rwanda/Uganda mission is to create potential partnerships and raise awareness about Digital for Development opportunities. The focus is on startups and scale-ups in AI, IoT, fintech, agritech, cleantech, healthtech, edutech, etc. But, actors from cooperation development, non-profit associations, academics, and corporates are also very welcome.
Be a part of the East African Digital Boom, discovering the leading tech players and startups from Kigali to Kampala.
Join us to:
- Meet some of the key players in the tech industry and start-up community
- Mingle with fellow entrepreneurs from Rwanda and Uganda as well as getting to know the needs of the locals
- Learn about the opportunities that arise in East Africa, how to do business there and validate your idea with local entrepreneurs and investors in an interactive setting.
- Discover the mindset of the Rwandan governement and people: how they embrace technology and how they maximize and amplify technology for the better of the country.
- Find local partners
March 24th – 28th 2020
First highlights of the program:
- Zipline's revolutionary drone-approach to health care, where they provide blood and medicine to remote areas by drones. These life-saving deliveries are reaching 16 million people at the moment.
- A co-creation session with CcHub, together with local Rwandan startups. CcHub's CEO, Bosun Tijani, will personally welcome our delegation. CcHub is one of Africa's largest networks of Hubs supporting innovation and entrepreneurship.
- A 'reverse pitching'-session at Red Cross Kigali where participating Belgian NGOs will pitch their digital needs.
- A visit to the newly established Carnegie Mellon University and its Industry lab, located in the Kigali Innovation City.
- A session at the Volkswagen assembly plant to discover their e-mobility program and approach.
- A visit to the Mara Phones plant, the very first smartphone 100% assembled and produced in Africa.
- A visit to the Kampala Innovation Village, combined with a B2B session co-organized with FIT, AWEX and hub.brussels
- A closing session at Design Hub in Kampala, organised by Enabel about "Private Sector Development"
- Receptions hosted by the respective Belgian Embassies
A more detailed program with all the exciting visits will be send to our participants in January!
To register for the mission, sign up here. Don't wait, we only have 40 seats!
The price is 1.690 euro per person (without VAT) for startups, non-profits, small and medium sized enterprises, and academics, and 2.590 euro per person (without VAT) for corporates (+250 employees). Prices include accomodation, food, activities and local transport.
Prices exclude flights from Brussels to Kigali (23/03), from Kigali to Kampala (26/03 at 19h30) and from Kampala to Brussels (28/03 evening departure). Once you register, our partner ALK Reizen will automatically send you a flight quote within 72h.
Questions or not sure if it’s the right event for you?
Contact Frederik Tibau from Startups.be (+32 497 25 56 01; firstname.lastname@example.org) or Julie de Bergeyck from Close the Gap (+32 474 99 71 16; email@example.com).
MORE DETAILS ON SUBSIDIES & FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOUR TRAVEL & STAY:
Startups and scale-ups can get a subsidy of Flanders Investment & Trade, Brussels Invest and Export or Awex (depending on where your startup/scale-up is based) for this mission that covers about 50 percent of the costs. It’s important that you send them your dossier at the latest two weeks before departure.